Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Writer's Notebook: Characteristics of a Conclusion

"And that's the end."
"That's why ____ is important."
"That's all I have to say."

OH conclusions! They can be just a little frustrating when you keep getting the same responses like above.

I get it. We spend so much time teaching them how to write a strong body of the essay that sometimes the conclusion doesn't get a lot of attention.

So in my room, we use a simple 3 step formula for writing a strong conclusion.

1. Start with a transition 
2. Ask & answer "So what" and "Why would?" 
   - So what did I write about?
   - Why would anybody care? 
3. Make a memorable statement


After we practice those three steps, I love using this cute guy for their writers notebook! We wrap up and review the characteristics of a conclusion by brainstorming what a conclusion looks like, sounds like, and feels like.


If you want Mr. Conclusion & five days worth of mini lessons click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment